The pair of shoes last you a lifetime by the genuine quality of leather. In Footwear, the variety of leathers used are Calfskin, Cowhide, Pigskin, Suede, Chamois, Nubuck, Shell Cordovan, Pull-Up, etc.
Overview of Grades of leather
The grades of leather classified as Full grain leather, Top grain leather, Genuine leather, Bonded leather. The leathers come from parts of the animals that do not quickly get damaged.
- Full-grain leather: The best quality leather, natural porous of the leather prevents the moisture retention, and thicker skin compares to the others.
- Top-grain leather: It is similar to the Full-grain leather, but durability is low because of the lesser thickness and light sanding to few millimeters for removing imperfections.
- Bonded leather: In this leather, which is made by shredding leather scraps and fiber, then combine with bonding materials.
Calfskin’s name implies that leather is from the skin of younger cattle. Compared to pigskin leather, it has more advantages that are easy to maintain, clean, and make it better for harsh conditions and withstanding abrasions. These are the reasons the cost is high when compared to others.
Pigskin Leather uses in crafting of shoes, bags, Football, etc. This leather can accept the dyes and results in a wide range of colors rather than other leathers. The characteristics of pigskin leather are highly durable and flexible, abrasion resistance, and without stiffening withstanding moisture.
Like all other genuine leathers, Cowhide leather is tanning raw cow skin and has a long-lasting glow. This leather offers water-proof, resistant to heat damage, and longevity is high. Based on the tanning process, the leather quality varies as soft, furry, or hard.
Suede leather mostly used in casual shoes and sneakers etc. The suede leather is so soft, and flexibility are made from sheep, goat, deer, pigs, cows, etc.,
This leather gives a long-lasting life and expensive leather compared to the others. It also absorbs the water quickly.
Types of Suede leather
- Sheepskin Suede: This type of suede is delicate and velvety texture and keeps you cold wind and damp during the winter seasons.
- Cowhide Suede: This cowhide leather is similar to the sheepskin, but it is highly durable and thicker than the sheepskin.
- Pigskin Suede: The pigskin suede is stiffer leather with a short nap and typically longer lasting than other suedes.
The chamois leather is mainly preferable for Casual boots and shoes etc. It is quite porous skin and runs through an extensive oil-tanning process. A goat antelope’s skin results in the very good water-absorbent then used as drying material in automobiles.
This Nubuck leather is a top-grained cattle leather that has a velvet-like surface by buffing process. Nubuck leather is of higher quality than suede and excellent water-resistant and requires less maintenance. Chromium tanning Process can perform for leather that yields a soft and flexible, and dying of color is relatively well.
Shell Cordovan is expensive quality leather that comes from horse butt. The feature of the shell cordovan is a very dense, smooth surface and non-creasing characteristic. It made up of connective tissue then lacks the pebbled effect of leather derived from animal skin.
This type of leather is also known as “waxed or oiled leather” because the pull-up leathers are colored using aniline dyes with natural wax or oil—Pull-up leather used for making shoes, bags, Furniture. Pull-up leather has a sanded surface underneath the finish, which aggregates softness, flexibility, and the natural grain remains undamaged.
Every leather has unique qualities and related costs. This key-element of leather help purchases the next pair of shoes you have ever owned.
Thank you for reading, Stay tuned with GTrendz Online for more interesting updates.